Breaking News apps
Get faster updates
Download the free Breaking News app for faster updates, alerts and live video on iOS, Android, Windows, and more
This page is no longer being updated

2016 US elections

Kremlin spokesman: US sanctions destroy diplomatic relations; adds Russian retaliation to new sanctions will be 'adequate' - Reuters

End of alert
55 WHOA!

2016 US elections

State Department official confirms Russian compound in Maryland is 45-acre property in Centreville purchased by the Soviet government in 1972 - @jfritze

114 WHOA!

2016 US elections

Russian embassy in the UK tweets image of a duck, with the word 'lame' and says 'everybody ... will be glad to see the last of this hapless administration' following sanctions announcement - @RussianEmbassy

91 WHOA!

2016 US elections

Russian foreign ministry official says US sanctions are 'counterproductive' and could damage relations - Interfax

41 WHOA!

2016 US elections

Russian politician Vladimir Jabbarov says Russia will respond to US expelling diplomats - TASS

62 WHOA!

2016 US elections

House Speaker Paul Ryan says sanctions against Russia are 'overdue'; says 'Russia does not share America's interests. In fact, it has consistently sought to undermine them, sowing dangerous instability around the world ... it serves as a prime example of this administration's ineffective foreign policy that has left America weaker in the eyes of the world' - statement

End of alert
81 WHOA!

2016 US elections

Statement: On new sanctions against Russia, US Dept. of State says diplomats to Russia have experienced increased harassment over last 12 months, including 'arbitrary police stops, physical assault' - @ZekeJMiller

51 WHOA!

2016 US elections

Statement: President Obama on new sanctions against Russians: 'All Americans should be alarmed by Russia's actions. In October, my Administration publicized our assessment that Russia took actions intended to interfere with the U.S. election process. These data theft and disclosure activities could only have been directed by the highest levels of the Russian government. Moreover, our diplomats have experienced an unacceptable level of harassment in Moscow by Russian security services and police over the last year. Such activities have consequences.' - @NBCNightlyNews

80 WHOA!

2016 US elections

More: US official says 35 Russian diplomats declared 'person non grata' in new sanctions have 72 hours to leave the country - Reuters

143 WHOA!

2016 US elections

More: US Dept. of Treasury says President Obama's new cyber-related sanctions designations against Russia allows for 'the imposition of sanctions on individuals and entities determined to be responsible for tampering, altering, or causing the misappropriation of information with the purpose or effect of interfering with or undermining election processes or institutions'

69 WHOA!

2016 US elections

US responds to election hacking with sanctions against Russian intel services, ejects 35 operatives - New York Times

447 WHOA!

2016 US elections

President-elect Trump on push for Russian hacking sanctions: 'I think we ought to get on with our lives. I think that computers have complicated lives very greatly. The whole age of computer has made it where nobody knows exactly what's going on. We have speed. We have a lot of other things. But I'm not sure you have the kind of security you need. But I have not spoken with the senators, and I certainly will be over a period of time.' - @ericgeller

128 WHOA!

2016 US elections

President-elect Trump says he had 'very good talk' with President Obama, staffs are 'getting along very well' - Reuters

62 WHOA!

2016 US elections

White House: President Obama phoned President-elect Trump today, conversation focused on a 'smooth and effective transition' - CNBC

End of alert
65 WHOA!

2016 US elections

President-elect Trump: Sprint will bring back 5,000 jobs to the United States - KCTV5

74 WHOA!

2016 US elections

Officials: US is preparing to announce, as soon as Thursday, a series of retaliation measures against Russia for meddling in the 2016 election - CNN

143 WHOA!

2016 US elections

Democratic leaders Schumer, Pelosi and Sanders urge a day of opposition to expected repeal of Obamacare - TPM

49 WHOA!

2016 US elections

Donald Trump fires back at US President Obama for 'inflammatory' statements - The Hill

78 WHOA!

2016 US elections

Sen. Lindsey Graham says Donald Trump disagrees with US Senate's consensus on Russia - CNN

49 WHOA!

2016 US elections

President-elect Trump, in tweet, credits himself for consumer confidence boost - AP

79 WHOA!